Today we welcome Jamie Wesley to Romancing the Book. Before we get to Jamie’s playlist for her newest release, The Deal with Love, let’s learn a little more about her.
Jamie Wesley has been reading romance novels since she was about 12 when her mother left a romance novel, which a friend had given her, on the nightstand. Jamie read it instead, and the rest is history. Her debut novel, TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD, was released by Entangled Publishing in 2014. She’s thrilled (and a little relieved) that this wasn’t her last book published.
She adores rooting for her hometown Dallas’s pro sports teams and her college alma maters, visiting Walt Disney World, and keeping up with pop culture. Want to know if your favorite TV show is going to be canceled or what the newest Disney attraction is? Ask Jamie. She’ll probably know the answer.
To be the first to hear about Jamie’s future releases, sign up for her mailing list here.
Hi, I’m Jamie Wesley. Thanks so much for having me here today to talk about one of my favorite parts of writing a book – building a playlist.
I listen to music all the time when I’m writing, during my commute, and when I’m at work. I always have my ear half-cocked for songs that fit whatever book I’m working on. That’s how I make a playlist for each book. Listening to the playlist helps me to get into the right headspace for the characters and the book.
My favorite types of music are R&B and pop, which is kind of a “duh” thing to say after you see the playlist I compiled for my latest book, THE DEAL WITH LOVE. Lol.
Who’s ready to dive into my brain and see how certain songs ended up on THE DEAL WITH LOVE playlist? Prepare yourself. You’ve been warned.
- I’m basically amusing myself with the “Promiscuous” choice. It’s a very tongue-in-cheek pick. The hero and heroine, Christian and Elise, have a one-night stand at the beginning of the book. And also, I do love the song. It’s a great karaoke choice.
- Justin Timberlake’s “Suit and Tie” is another tongue-in-cheek choice. Christian is wearing a suit the night he meets Elise. And Elise loves a man in a suit. Here’s exactly what Elise thought of his attire: He looked good. Exceptionally so. But wasn’t a man in a well-tailored suit always a safe bet to capture a woman’s interest? Lord knew the style revved her engines.
- You might also notice that I included two songs called “Miss Independent,” which describes Elise to a T. I couldn’t choose between the two songs, so I chose both. I’m an equal opportunity playlist DJ. Lol.
- “Good Enough” is from the show “Empire” and is about trying to please your father, a subject that hits way too close to home for both Elise and Christian.
- What would a playlist be without at least one 80s jam? I give you Debarge’s “I Like It.” And I assure you that Christian definitely likes it. Lol.
- “Fall for You” by Leela James is one of my favorite songs ever. Pretty much, I believe it’s the theme song for every romance ever told. If you listen to one song on my playlist, please choose this one. It’s about being scared to take that leap into love, but not being able to help yourself when you meet the right person. It’s a gorgeous song that gets me every time I listen to it.
So there you have it! I hope you enjoyed the peek into my brain!