Today we welcome Roni Loren to Romancing the Book. Before we get to her Top 5 List, let’s learn a little more about Roni.
Roni wrote her first romance novel at age fifteen when she discovered writing about boys was way easier than actually talking to them. Since then, her flirting skills haven’t improved, but she likes to think her storytelling ability has. Though she’ll forever be a New Orleans girl at heart, she now lives in Dallas with her husband and son.
If she’s not working on her latest sexy story, you can find her reading, watching reality television, or indulging in her unhealthy addiction to rockstars, er, rock concerts. Yeah, that’s it. She is the National Bestselling Author of The Loving on the Edge series from Berkley Heat.
Top 5 Musical Crushes
Ooh, I love this topic. Hmm, not sure I can fit it into just five. We’ll see. 😉
- Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters – I mean, he’s Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters. The guy is smart and talented and their music kicks ass. Plus, he comes across as so down to earth and all about the music. First time I saw them in concert, he walked into the audience. So I have thoroughly molested the back of Dave’s shoulder. Be jealous.
- Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to Mars– Okay, admittedly this started with my teen obsession with My So-Called Life and Jordan Catalano. BUT when I found out Jared had a band, I was excited to find that I really love their music. It’s not even fair to be that talented and so freaking beautiful. And after watching the 30 Seconds to Mars documentary, Artifact, I’m even more impressed with him as a person.
- Shannon Leto – This is Jared’s brother and the drummer of 30 Seconds to Mars. His drumming style is what I modeled Pike’s after in CALL ON ME. The man is amazing to watch on the drums. Like jaw drop amazing. Not hard on the eyes, either. 😉 Want to see him drum? Video: https://youtu.be/YmkS1NEEeMw
- P!nk – I have a total girl crush on P!nk. Talented, funny, and gorgeous. And best of all, she doesn’t take herself seriously. I’ve seen her in concert a few times now and it’s always a great time.
- Justin Timberlake – Obviously, he’s good-looking. That’s a given. But I love, love, love how funny he is. There’s nothing hotter than a great sense of humor and comedic timing.
- Honorable Mention: Trent Reznor – Because he’s super smart and a little scary, and that combination is pretty hot, lol. You know he’d be hanging out at The Ranch (the BDSM resort in my books).
Oakley Easton wants two things: to be a good mom to her daughter and to ditch her less than ideal night job. Hooking up with bad boy drummer Pike Ryland? Not on the agenda. She needs a promotion. Not sex, tattoos and rock ’n’ roll.
Pike isn’t about to let Ms. Prim and Proper shut him down so easily, especially when he stumbles upon Oakley’s sexy night job. She’s only playing a role on those late night calls with strangers, but when he gets her on the line, all bets are off. He won’t stop until that sultry voice is calling his name for real.
But as they move from anonymous fantasies in the dark to the flesh-on-hot-flesh reality of the bedroom, the risk of falling in love becomes all too high. And the safe, quiet world that Oakley’s worked so hard to create is about to be exposed to the one person who could ruin it all.
Here’s a short excerpt from Call on Me:
“Don’t tease me, mama. Tell me. In vivid detail preferably.”
She pressed her lips together, humor in her eyes, and looked toward the road. “You sound like one of my callers.”
“You’re dodging my question.”
She nodded. “A fair assessment.”
She glanced down, a self-deprecating smile tugging at her lips. “It’s silly, right? I talk sex for a living but when it comes to talking to you about it, I lock up like some awkward virgin. I had to fight it the first few times we talked on the phone. Now, in person, it’s coming back.”
He appreciated the honesty. “I get it. Everything’s easier when it’s a role. You talk sex as Sasha. But it’s just you here tonight. Same for me. It’s easier for me when I’m the drummer from Darkfall. But the only person you’ve got in this car with you is James Pike Ryland. So don’t feel awkward. We’re on even ground.”
She looked over at him. “Your name is James?”
“It was my father’s name. But my dad walked out when I was five and I started going by Pike since my mom said she couldn’t stand to hear his name in the house. I legally changed it when I joined the band to separate myself from my history, but for some reason, James still feels like my real name. It’s what my brother called me.”
She considered him. “So if I was in here with Pike Ryland, rockstar, how would it be different?”
He laughed. “We are not going to discuss that. You would hate him.”
She turned her body toward him, devious smile beaming. “Oh, no. We have to go there now. I think I got a glimpse of him the first time we met.”
He rubbed the back of his head. How had he gotten trapped in this corner? “Fuck, all right. I do what’s easy. I tell women what they want to hear. Most girls just want to know how hot they are, how great they look in whatever they’re wearing. It’s much more about them and the conquest of landing the band member than it is about me. I figured that out early on. Then it usually ends up with talk of who I know, where I’ve been, all that shit that makes me sound like a big deal.”
Oakley bit her lip like she was trying hard not to laugh.
“What?” he asked, grinning. “That shit totally works.”
“Oh, I have no doubt. I’m sure ten minutes of that and there’s no more talking because the girl’s head is bobbing in your lap. Frankly, I don’t know why you even bother talking. I mean, looking at you is enough. You probably could just unbutton your fly and point.”
His mouth kicked up at the corner. “Yeah? Would that have worked on you?”
“That would’ve gotten you a knee to the balls. And a thank you for showing me where to aim.”
She turned, peering out at the passing mileage signs. “Looking at you is no hardship. You know that. But talking to James Pike Ryland is what got me here. The other guy would’ve never had a chance.”
The gently spoken admission thumped him right in the chest. He focused on the road, trying not to show on his face how the words had affected him. “Thank you, Oakley.”