I’m one of those odd people who can’t have a lot of noise when I’m writing. But since I usually write surrounded by people (either at work or at the coffee shop), I end up putting in my headphones a lot. So my music playlists are pretty much the most important thing I need to get me writing. I have several – sometimes I can’t write to music that has words, other times I need a specific sound or feeling.
When I was drafting The Star Thief, I need something that would be atmospheric as well as fun and romantic. Since it’s a space opera/romance, it took a while to come up with the perfect mix of soundtrack music, pop music, and the classics. I have to admit, video game soundtracks are my favorite to use, with movie soundtracks a close second, so you’ll see a lot of those there. But I always try to have a wide selection. You never know when that romantic scene is going to pop up.
My main character, Renna, is something of a rebel and she’s got eclectic tastes, so the playlist reflects that. So without further ado here is my go-to playlist for The Star Thief.
- Leaving Earth – Mass Effect 3 Soundtrack. This one is so perfect for so many scenes, it’s emotional, full of conflict, and it never fails to get me in the mood to write.
- Adventure Found Me – Tomb Raider Soundtrack. This is another one of those that just sets the perfect scene for action and adventure.
- Kara Remembers – Battlestar Gallactica. One of my fave Sci-fi shows and the music in it is absolutely gorgeous.
- Come a Little Closer – Cage The Elephant. It’s got that fun, techno-pop feel that works for action scenes. Not to mention the lyrics fit the story perfectly.
- The High Road – Broken Bells. Another one of those vaguely sci-fi beats, and the lyrics about someone following the rules are pretty much perfect for Renna.
- Amsterdam – Imagine Dragons. I seem to have at least one Imagine Dragons song in all of my playlists lately. This one hints at the regret so many of my characters feel in this book.
- Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd. It’s Pink Floyd. I’m not sure anything else needs to be said.
- Paradise – Coldplay. There’s such a cool story here in this song, and it just seems to fit my main character perfectly.
- Cosmic Love – Florence + The Machine. Both a perfect song and a perfect title.
- Pumped Up Kicks – Foster the People. I’m not sure why this song is on my playlist to be honest, it’s not exactly a sci-fi space song, but it fits Renna’s personality so well.
- And last but not least – the entire Mass Effect 3 and Pacific Rim soundtracks. They were perfect for this book!
So there you are, a slice of the music that helped me write The Star Thief. So how about you guys? Do you have any favorite music you listen to while reading or writing?
Jamie Grey spent most of her childhood writing stories about princesses who saved the day and pretending to be a daring explorer. It wasn’t until much later that she realized she should combine the two. Now, as a tech-obsessed gamer geek, her novels mix amazing scientific developments, future worlds, and the remarkable characters that live in them.
Jamie lives in Michigan with her significant other and their pets, who luckily tolerate her overspending on tea, books, and video games.