Thanks so much for joining me! And thank you, Jen, for letting me visit Romancing the Book! Since I’m here today to celebrate the release of DARKNESS RISES, the fourth book in my Immortal Guardians paranormal romance series, I thought I’d share with you the Top 5 Reasons I Love Paranormal Romance.
- The powerful, irresistible heroes. I’m talking about the strong, confident heroes who can kick serious butt, yet admire strong women. Formidable heroes who won’t freak out if — that’s right — the heroines have to rescue them. Intelligent. Protective. These heroes are also honorable and courageous and will do anything they have to in order to defend their friends and loved ones and prevent the heroines from coming to harm. They can utterly terrify their enemies one moment, then turn around and laugh and tease and indulge in affectionate moments with the women they love in the next.
- The heroines who can kick butt. While paranormal romance is my favorite book genre, horror is my favorite film genre. But I admit I’ve had my fill of female protagonists in horror movies who trip over their own feet, then just lie there, whimpering or screaming, as the villain slowly approaches. I’m SO glad paranormal romance heroines don’t do that. Instead of waiting for someone to come to their rescue, PNR heroines are more likely to take matters into their own hands and decapitate the villain, sometimes with his own weapon. Like the heroes, they will do anything they have to in order to survive and to protect those they love.
- The awesome action scenes that leave me clinging to the edge of my seat and reading late into the night (even when I have to get up early the next morning), because I HAVE to see what happens next.
- It takes me into an alternate reality. Let’s face it. Life can be stressful. So there are times when reading is not just a pleasure for me. It’s an escape. The books I turn to most in those moments are romances that take me out of this world and into another in which vampires, immortals, gifted ones, werewolves, zombies, aliens, and more exist and thrive and wage fantastical wars or embark upon incredible adventures.
- The romance. I adore a good romance, and paranormals can produce some outstanding ones. The stakes can be high in paranormals. The consequences dire. Sometimes the heroes and heroines are both preternatural creatures. Sometimes one is preternatural and the other a mere mortal who has been unexpectedly thrust into a paranormal world and finds him- or herself falling in love with someone the rest of humanity would consider a monster. The latter, I admit, are among my favorites. I just love seeing people who, having been taken out of their element, rapidly adapt to their new knowledge and circumstances and find love with an unlikely companion.
And, speaking of unlikely companions, I thought I would also provide you with a brief excerpt of DARKNESS RISES, in which Immortal Guardian Étienne d’Alençon sees mortal vampire hunter Krysta Linz take on four psychotic vampires by herself. Instantly captivated, he must now find a way to convince her that not everyone with fangs and glowing eyes is the enemy:
A low chuckle wafted on the night.
Eyes widening, she drew her second sword and turned in a slow circle. “Damn it! Show yourself!”
“Well, since you asked so nicely,” a deep voice laced with a French accent purred behind her.
Gasping, she spun around and swung a shoto.
Once more, he caught her wrist. “Careful.” The warning was gentle, carrying neither malice nor anger.
His touch sent electricity tickling its way up her arm. His flesh was warm, his long fingers free of callouses.
Her heart slammed against her ribs as butterflies erupted in her stomach.
She should be furious. Frightened. Instead, she felt as excited as she would on a first date.
Stepping back, she withdrew her arm from his grasp.
Dropping his hand, he tilted his head and studied her with those entrancing amber eyes.
Yeah, he was hot all right.
Short midnight hair glinted in the moonlight. Faint stubble shadowed a strong jaw. Straight nose. Broad shoulders. What was clearly a well-developed, muscular build beneath a black T-shirt that clung to him courtesy of the vampire blood that saturated its front. Slim waist. Slim hips. All revealed by the gap in the long black coat he wore.
She didn’t let her gaze stray further. The last thing she wanted to do while facing him was blush like a school girl if he had a nice package.
His tempting lips stretched in a slow smile.
* * * * *
Dianne Duvall is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Immortal Guardians paranormal romance series. Her debut novel, Darkness Dawns, was nominated for the RT Reviewers’ Choice Award for Best Vampire Romance by RT Book Reviews and for Best Paranormal Romance—Vampire by The Romance Reviews. Other books in the series, including Night Reigns, Phantom Shadows, and the Predatory anthology, have been deemed Top Picks by RT Book Reviews, The Romance Reviews, and Night Owl Reviews. When she isn’t writing, Dianne is active in the independent film industry and once even appeared onscreen as a machete-wielding maniac not unlike the vampires in her novels.