Today we welcome Joanna Philbin to Romancing the Book. She’s given us a list of suggested summer reads, according to Rory, the main character of Joanna’s newest release, Rules of Summer.
There are two sides to every summer.
When seventeen-year-old Rory McShane steps off the bus in East Hampton, it’s as if she’s entered another universe, one populated by impossibly beautiful people wearing pressed khakis and driving expensive cars. She’s signed on to be a summer errand girl for the Rules — a wealthy family with an enormous beachfront mansion. Upon arrival, she’s warned by other staff members to avoid socializing with the family, but Rory soon learns that may be easier said than done.Stifled by her friends and her family’s country club scene, seventeen-year-old Isabel Rule, the youngest of the family, embarks on a breathless romance with a guy whom her parents would never approve of. It’s the summer for taking chances, and Isabel is bringing Rory along for the ride. But will Rory’s own summer romance jeopardize her friendship with Isabel? And, after long-hidden family secrets surface, will the Rules’ picture-perfect world ever be the same?
Rory’s Top Beach Reads
1. Great Gatsby by F. Scott Ftzgerald
2. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
3. The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
4. This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
5. Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani’s
6. Secret History by Donna Tartt
7. Austenland by Shannon Hale
8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
9. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
10. Going Bovine by Libba Bray
ABOUT JOANNA PHILBIN:
Joanna Philbin was born in Los Angeles and raised in New York City—and spend many summers on the Hamptons. She holds a BA from Brown University and a JD and an MFA from the University of Notre Dame. She is the author of the Daughters series, and lives and writes in Los Angeles.